The Istorya-DC 2016 Symposium
Embassy of the Philippines - Romulo Hall
Program Schedule (5:30pm - 8pm)
5:30 View archives exhibits
5:40 Welcome by Mr. Hank Hendrickson, symposium Emcee
5:45 Remarks by Ms. Darell Ann Artates, Public Diplomacy Officer, on behalf of Minister Patrick A. Chuasoto éCharge d'Affaires, a.i.,; and by Rita M. Cacas, President, RMCF, Inc.
5:55 Videotaped keynote address: Amy Besa, co-author of "Memories of Philippine Kitchens," and co-owner of Purple Yam restaurants in Brooklyn, NY and in Malate, Philippines.
6:15 Panel 1
"DC Philippine American Restaurants: Yesterday and Today"
Three local restaurant owners describe the DC food scene and how they attract Filipino and non-Filipino diners.
Moderator: Dr. Ricardo "Ricky" Punzalan, Assistant Professor, University of MD, College of Information Studies
• Patrice Cleary - Owner, Purple Patch restaurant, Washington, DC;
• Manuel "Manny" Tagle - Bistro 7107, Crystal City, VA; and Sweet City Desserts, Vienna, VA; and
• Katrina Villavicencio - Co-Founder, Timpla Supper Club, Washington, DC.
7:20-7:30 Audience reactions and discussions.
6:50 Panel 2
"DC Food Istoryas: Yesterday and Today"
Three Washingtonians familiar with past and present Filipino eateries will share their "DC Istoryas"
Moderator: Gem Daus, Adjunct Professor, University of Maryland Asian American Studies
• Nila Toribio Straka - Manila House memories at mid-century;
• Amanda Tira Andrei O'Connor, 2010 Honor's thesis, "Nanay's Kusina or Carinderia? The Perceived Lack of Filipino Restaurants in American Dining”
• Luis Florendo - Former owner of Sony's Filipino Restaurant, Baltimore;
6:40-6:50 Audience reactions and discussions.
7:30-8:00 Reception and view exhibits.